Huguenot Society of South Africa
    The Huguenot Memorial Museum in Franschhoek
    . 
    The theme of the Huguenot Memorial Museum in Franschhoek is the history of the Huguenots before and after their arrival at the Cape of Good Hope. 
     
    The museum is the rebuilt Saasveld building, the elegant 18-th century home of Baron Willem Ferdinand van Reede van Oudtshoorn. He erected it around 1791 on his estate (next the the present Kloof Street in Cape Town). All indications are that the architect was the Frenchman Louis Michel Thibault, and that the decorations on the building were done by the well known sculptor Anton Anreith.
    In 1954 the Dutch Reformed congregation in Cape Town decided to demolish the building and to erect a youth hostel in its place. Attempts to prevent the demolition were unsuccessful. It was then proposed to erect the building elsewhere. In 1957 it was agreed to rebuild Saasveld in Franschhoek (some 70 km away), next door to the Huguenot Monument, and use it as a Huguenot Museum. Each brick was numbered, and after transporting it 70 km to Franschhoek, was replaced in its original position. The museum was officially opened on March 11th, 1967.
    Entrance foyer of the Huguenot Memorial Museum
    The museum contains a large variety of furniture, bibles, silwer ware, kitchen utensils, documents, relics and artefacts which strikingly illustrate the life of the Huguenots at the Cape of Good Hope. Because the Huguenots arrived at the Cape of Good Hope carrying little posessions, most of the artefacts were acquired after settling at the Cape.

    Left: Bibles which belonged to the Le Roux and De Villiers families.